Lemon water. You may have heard it before; that waking up to a cup of hot lemon water with a little honey added is the best way to start the day.
I try to start my days off by making myself one of these. Lemon water kickstarts your digestion and has a great amount of benefits.
Lemon water implemented into your morning routine will…
- Flush out unwanted materials and toxins. Lemon juice also helps relieving symptoms of indigestion and bloating.
- Boost your immune system, due to the large amount of vitamin C, which lemons contain. Potassium is another mineral they are rich in, which will stimulate your brain and your nerve function.
- Balance your PH levels. Even though you might not think of a lemon as alkaline, they are one of the most alkalizing foods for your body, which helps you fight off disease.
- Clear your skin. Antioxidants and the vitamin C will help decrease wrinkles and blemishes and combat free radical damage. Vitamin C is vital for a healthy and a glowing skin.
- Promote healing. Vitamin C promotoes wound healing and it is too an essential nutrient in the maintenance of healthy bones and connective tissue.
- Help your sore throat. Lemons can help you battle your sore throat thanks to the anti-inflammatory property of it.
- Decrease your symptoms of depression and anxiety. Due to the potassium content, lemons will help you ease symptoms of depression and anxiety, given that this is often linked to not having enough potassium in your blood.
- Help fight cancer. Studies have found that cancer cells can not thrive in an environment that is rich with alkaline.
- Lose weight. The pectin fiber in lemons helps to reduce and suppress hunger cravings.
- Protect your body through pregnancy. The vitamin C in lemons will help your body fight off viruses. It can also help the bone tissue formation of your unborn baby.
- Eliminate your bad breath. Beware of the citric acids, but don’t brush your teeth right after drinking lemon water. Lemons are also known for their relieve of tooth pain.
I mix up my lemon water with a teaspoon of, preferably, raw honey. Even though it is quite expensive, the benefits you get from raw honey are far better than the ones you get from the ordinary honey you buy in the supermarket.
Raw honey will…
- Alleviate allergies. The anti-inflammatory effects of honey will not only soothe your throat and coughs, it will also reduce seasonal allergy symptoms.
- Energize you. Honey is a great source of natural energy. This natural unprocessed sugar will enter directly into your bloodstream and give you a quick boost of energy. Honey is great before a workout or a yoga class, as it will act as a short-term source for your workout.
- Boost your memory. Honey is loaded with antioxidants that may help prevent cellular damage and loss within the brain. Honey has a great ability to absorb calcium, with helps aid brain health. Our brains need calcium in order to process thought and make decisions.
- Help you sleep. As a wrote here, I try to drink a cup of warming tea or water with honey every night, due to fact that I can have a hard time sleeping and falling asleep. Honey can cause a rise in insulin and release serotonin, which improves mood and happiness.
My lemon-honey water is easy to do:
Boil some water, pour it is a cup, add the juice of half a lemon and a teaspoon of raw honey.
Easy peasy right? The benefits you will get from this are endless, but if you are just looking for something to replace your morning coffee or something to pick you up, this will do, I promise.